Thursday 27 February 2014

The birth of the farm ~ FINAL CHAPTER ~ land….business trips….and finding balance



These past couple of years have been like approaching a fork in the road ~ uphill ~ on roller skates with loose trucks….let me explain.



We rented the land for two years growing chickens in chicken tractors* for meat and eggs along with a small market garden in a raised bed system back home. Although our client base was growing quite rapidly, we remained stunted by the lack of a permanent place in which to build the farm. So we just hung in limbo….until….incredibly….we were visiting Farmer Luke’s family in New Zealand in the spring of 2012 and we found out that Mrs. Ball, the landowner, had passed away after a short illness. That, in and of itself, was a truly sad moment as she and Farmer Luke had developed a very sweet relationship over the years. Clearly she felt the same way..... We were told that she had left us the rights of first refusal of 100 acres that they would sever off the main house.



BLINK….

BLINK….

BLINK. BLINK. BLINK.

what?

… noooo…

seriously?

… what?...

That’s insane.



Utterly surprised does not explain…completely humbled and honoured does not express…we could hardly take anymore beatings from destiny…WE HAD TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN… and we did. WOooooOW! OK. Deeeeeep breath.



we're going to farm about 40 acres and leave 60 acres to conservation and trails

By this time I was doing A LOT of business travel. Sometimes I’d be gone all week, 2-4 weeks of a month. UGH! There is nothing like the yearning to be back in your family’s arms ~ there is nothing like ‘kid energy’ to give you a boost. Bottomline…LOVE my work…but I’m burnt out in travel. To illustrate ~ the most epic of my trips took me 17 days and 13 flights! DO THE MATH MY FRIENDS!!! I was traveling over 75% of the time that I was away over a 17 day period. At one point I was stationed in Sioux Lookout, Ontario and I was booked to fly in and out of three small communities over a three day period in order to meet with clients. No worries right? Suuuuure…I’ll travel in November in order to avoid the snow and impending winter…AREN’T I SMART!...such foresight... such instinct..... such insight into the environment…UM. Nope! ….I soon found out that November was actually the WORST time to fly because the air was colder than the earth forcing the cloud cover lower and visibility unpredictable and poor….WHO KNEW?...apparently everyone up north but me!…. the reality of this quickly became a point of conversation and I began to learn how truly unpredictable my trip was becoming… Nonetheless, I decided to attempt the first flight into Deer Lake, a small community only accessible by air and winter road…armed with a bevy of advice such as: go to the police or nursing station if snowed in for days and be sure to take food, warm clothes and a sleeping bag…what? what!....GULP…off I went after a good 3 hour excruciating delay.



On a side note: To be honest…I know the community would never have let me go without somewhere warm to sleep and they certainly would never of let me be hungry…so other than more commitments and staying on track, I wasn’t too concerned…just more inconvenienced.



I boarded a very small propeller plane, loaded and stewarded by the pilots with only 8 passenger seats …GULP….nothing I had ever encountered before. I chose the first seat behind the pilots on the assumption that it was a ‘pretty safe bet’…ie….it was in everyone’s best interest that the pilots survive…right?...anyhoo, I quickly discovered that I could CERTAINLY do without watching the pilots…..every light…every beep...…every movement....it was all interpreted as possible insight into the plane’s demise. It became unbearable. I had to force myself not to look or listen. My stop was the first. So much stress. On a moment of relapse I quickly discovered that things WEREN’T right…. panic set in… then the barely coherent speaker announced we were moving on without landing due to low cloud cover….WHOOOOOOSH….my heart  instantly relaxed… my anxiety released… and I sat back and happily ignored the pilots for the rest of the ‘milk run’…. enjoying the views knowing that from that point on… I’d be flying my clients to me.

you can see where I went in 17 days and 13 flights ~ I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS!!!


So ya…‘I was busy’ is a bit of an understatement. Forrest was at home until she was 16 months old…that meant Farmer Luke raised our little Ms. Rea and our Mr. Fab Finn for 2 summers while he ran the farm and our family and I worked like a mad woman. THIS WAS NUTS ~ no sugar coating here folks!! For those unfamiliar with the mechanics of roller skates; your wheels are attached to trucks which attach to the boot of the skate. You need to maintain the tightening of your trucks and your wheels for optimum performance. When the trucks are loose it’s an awful feeling! You continue to skate and propel but you feel utterly helpless and completely off balance. Insert our life. We plugged and propelled along but it wasn’t pretty….nor anywhere near perfect. Semi-organized chaos maybe…but mostly moment by moment. In the end we all agreed we needed balance. So Ms. Rea went into care part-time…and WOW this was an instant release for all of us and it was one major shift which was needed in order to bring our life back into balance. Once equilibrium returned we were confident and committed to going forward with the purchase of the land and begin our future together.



THE END. a farm is born!! awwww isn't it cute :)



This final post has been brought you by…a right hook by destiny, an environmental lesson…and knowing when you need to calibrate...





….and a double yolker…..cuz it’s always a 'good time' when you get a double yolker!!!



 

*huh? See our website www.earthsharvestfarm.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment