Wednesday 12 February 2014

The birth of the farm ~ PART 1 ~ “it’s time to move”…and serendipity is our Realtor


Based on the premise that Earth’s Harvest Farm was just meant to be and on the foundation that there are no coincidences…I begin our story. 

It all started when we purchased this house in 2009…prior to that we had lived on a half acre lot in a 100 year old home in the village of Osgoode, on the outskirts of ‘Greater Ottawa’. This was our first home and it was where Finsbury (a.k.a. The Fabulous Mr. Finn) entered the world.

Finsbury - one day old - obviously he too saw chickens and sheep in our future

Although it was a great community, village life just wasn’t for us ~ we needed more space and, to be honest, less peeps. So after 3 years we decided it was time to move…. Oh!…ok…cool…where? how? when? We had no real plan and we didn’t really know where we were going. I was working from home writing for legal publications and contracting to a non-profit and Farmer Luke was known as Commercial Waterproofer Luke and worked in Ottawa. For the most part we had no ties.  

ENTER SERENDIPITY…the Realtor. After putting the house on the market we spent a couple of months looking, but not finding, a place we liked…or that really spoke to us. Then one night ~ at around 11 ~ in a moment of utter discouragement I referred back to an old listing that never really attracted me… well other than the fact a friend had sent it to me (first sign). It was conditionally sold, and had been for some time, but I thought what the hell…I’ll give it a go and see if we can look anyway. I instantly emailed the real estate agent and asked for a viewing…not expecting a response until morning of course. Within minutes the agent responded saying that the conditional sale had just that moment, fallen through and yes, of course a viewing could be had. WOW SERIOUSLY???!! (second sign) My intuitive self started dancing in my belly and a smile emerged over my face ~ that’s the kinda stuff I needed to feel. Over the next few days I convinced myself the house was ours. The night before the viewing I had an extremely vivid dream wherein I was walking around in our ‘new house’ and there were wood floors that creaked. When I woke up I just knew it was our new house that I was in….I kid you not....I’m kinda like that. Anyhoo…I was totally bummed when I got up because the house we were going to see was built in the mid 90s and couldn’t possibly have creaking floors…right?... When we arrived at the house I instantly loved the property. We walked around as our Realtor struggled with the key in the front door…then she tried the back door…then back to the front…..then Luke tried….front…back…no luck...I’m now looking in the windows drooling and totally bumming out because now I’m being told we can't get in. I finally say “give ME a turn!” ~ with “I’m going to get that jar open” determination I approached the door, looked down at the key, which incidentally was baby blue with bubbles all over it (my heart was aching at this point), and with one turn of the key the door opened. THAT’S RIGHT! (third sign) The door opened to two black cats curious over the commotion yet suspicious of the intrusion…..cute kitties…um…wait…they were identical to our two black cats, Burt and Bob. YUP (fourth sign). In I walk…onto to beautiful wood floors…WHAT?....CRrrrrEeeeeAaaaaK!! (fifth and final sign…YUP this was our house!)

Of course I had already fallen in love with it on the outside and the inside didn't disappoint...so yup, this was going to be our new home…..AFTER we sold the other house. UGH ~ cue ‘worst experience ever’ ~ …..we carried the conditional offer for 4 horrible horrible horrible MONTHS. The stress was AWFUL and seemingly impenetrable. Between showings and the fear of losing our dream home…I was a mess…to say the least.

One dark moment involved me coming home to a sign posted on the telephone pole outside our house that advertised our neighbour’s open house scheduled on OUR open house date. Madness overtook me and although I am not proud of it, I feel…um…or rather…felt…justified in getting out of my car and ripping the sign down…HELL NO! YOU AREN’T STEALING OUR POTENTIAL BUYERS was screaming in my head (to be honest they had more all over the neighbourhood..I'm not that much of a saboteur)…I ran into the house in a complete frenzy, threw the sign at Luke…and burst into tears blubbering about the neighbour stealing our open house. Luke looked at me. Looked at the sign. Looked at me. Looked at the sign again…then I looked at the sign…..and realized… it was actually scheduled for the weekend AFTER our open house. Yup. I went there. I’m not proud of it. Needless to say…we still have the sign.

About two weeks later we got the house. 

to be continued....
 

This post has been brought to you by…. destiny, intuition and a moment of madness...


..and a stuffed cat in the cockpit of an Air Canada flight…






why? Because although I may be prone to fits of madness…I’m also an awesome mom who takes her kids’ stuffies on business trips and documents our adventures…meet Slinky Malinky. 



2 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard at your description of the sign and had to read it to my husband...he looked at me and burst out laughing because I totally would do the same exact thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha ~ not one of my better moments that's for sure....but it was pretty funny in the end! By the way....I am glad I'm not the only one :-)

    ReplyDelete